Do you have your plans all ready for Super Bowl Sunday? Your guest list and your shopping list for all those goodies you’ll be chowing down on during the game. If you invited me to your house and had these little bits of pizza heaven stuffed in a mushroom waiting on the table, I would be so happy. And during the game, I am one of those guys who yell, cheer, and jump up and down. Just so you know in advance.
Super Bowl XLVI will be the 46th annual addition of the Super Bowl in American Football. It will be played in Indianapolis at Lucas Oil Stadium on Sunday, February 5, 2012. Organizers are expecting 150,000 people to come to Indiana for the big game. The Conference Championships will be determined on January 22 between the AFC (the New England Patriots or the Baltimore Ravens) and the NFC (the New York Giants or the San Francisco 49ers). I can’t wait to see who the final teams will be!
Former American Idol winner Kelly Clarkson will sing the National Anthem and the halftime show will feature Madonna and Cirque du Soleil. The commercials for the game sold for an average price of $3.5 million per thirty-second ad, the highest in the event’s history. Anheuser-Busch has purchased nine slots during the game. So even if your favorite team isn’t playing, there will still be plenty of great stuff to watch. Yea team!
Spicy Sausage Pizza Stuffed Mushrooms
This really isn’t a recipe, just an assembling of ingredients. You’ll be able to eye-ball how much of each ingredient you need by how many mushrooms you are using.
Stuffing mushrooms, washed, dried, stems removed
Cooking spray, such as Pam
Pizza sauce, your favorite
Spicy Italian sausage, casing removed
Fontina cheese slices, cut into 1-inch squares
Mozarella cheese slices, cut into small batons
Italian parsley leaves for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or foil.
2. Place the mushrooms on the baking sheet, stem side down. Spray lightly with cooking spray. Bake for 5 minutes.
3. Drain mushrooms on paper towels stem side down. Press paper towel over top. You may need to change paper towel more than once. If liquid appears in stem well, blot it out. Cool to room temperature.
4. Crumble the sausage in a sauté pan and cook until no longer pink and starting to brown. Drain on paper towel. Reserve.
5. Place mushrooms on paper towel covered work surface. Fill mushroom with a small piece of Fontina, a little Parmesan, a couple teaspoons pizza sauce and some sausage. Sprinkle with a little Kosher salt.
6. Microwave filled mushrooms on high for about 20 seconds until very warm. Garnish with mozzarella batons and parsley leaves. Serve very warm.