You know how, on January 1st, you make your New Year’s Resolutions? Well, I made an October 1st Resolution, which was to use up all the frozen stuff in my freezer before I bought any more food. I went to put something in there the other day and realized I couldn’t fit in one more thing. I just stood there scratching my head. How did I come to this anyway.
So I took everything out and put it on the counter by categories. Then I made a list on paper of each of those categories. I tossed a couple of things, but not enough to make a dent. I was feeling quite proud of myself for my brave start on my resolution. Then I put it all back in the freezer.
After perusing my list, I decided to start with the meat, and singled out a pack of chicken thighs. I chose them because I also had a head of cauliflower languishing in the fridge that needed to be used up very soon. I remembered a Cauliflower and Chicken Soup recipe I created back in the day and that was it. I went in the back yard and checked out my rosemary plant, which is about 3 feet high. Yep, it had some good resiny branches.
I made this soup, which is so nice for lunch or a light supper. I love the rosemary essence, and the onion and leek flavored broth. The recipe makes a big pot of soup, so I put the leftovers in serving size containers. To be put back in the freezer. Oh man. I had taken out about 4 cubic inches of chicken and put back 8 cubic inches of containers. Hmmm. I’m going to have to reevaluate my approach, I think….
Cauliflower & Chicken Soup with Rosemary
Makes 6 servings
1 tablespoon butter
3 to 6 chicken thighs, skinless, ¾-inch cubes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 leek, white and light green, diced
4 to 6 large garlic cloves, minced, to taste
1 cauliflower head, in small florettes
1 large baking potato, ½-inch dice, with skin if desired
1 to 2 tablespoons rosemary, minced, to taste
4 cans (14.5 oz each) low sodium chicken broth
Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
¼ cup minced Italian parsley
Grated Parmigiano Reggiano
Butter shards, optional
1. In a large dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add chicken and sauté until done. Scoop ino a bowl with slotted spoon, leaving drippings in pan.
2. Add olive oil to pan, heat and sauté onion, leek and garlic until soft but not brown.
3. Add cauliflower, potato and rosemary to pan, stir and cook 2-3 minutes.
4. Add chicken pieces and chicken broth. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or until potato is soft. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Serve in warmed soup bowls. Garnish with Italian parsley, Parmigiano Reggiano and optional butter shards.
Note: Soup may be frozen in single portion containers for up to two months. Reheat covered in microwave.