I have been getting some questions about the photos in the slide show, like, did I take the photographs; are there recipes for them; and am I going to post the recipes? The answers are yes, yes and yes. The first photo is of Pineapple Upside-Down Cake, then Cold Cucumber Soup, Mini Corn Muffins, Crostini with Kalamata Olive Tapenade and Ricotta, and Moroccan Carrot Salad.
I chose the Cold Cucumber Soup for this post because all of the other recipes in the slide show have a story about them, and this Cucumber Soup has no story. It’s just a really good recipe.
You can serve this soup as a starter at a formal dinner, or in a rustic bowl in the afternoon for a pick-me-up on a hot day. You get the tang of the yogurt, the zing of the lemon and lime juice, and the crunch of the cucumber, with notes of garlic, mint and basil. Topped with sweet tomatoes and salty pistachios. Perfect.
Cold Cucumber Soup with Tomato and Pistachio
2 large cucumbers, peeled, seeded and cut into ¼-inch dice
2 green onions, white and green, sliced thin
3 garlic cloves, pressed
3 tablespoons mint minced
3 tablespoons basil minced
2 cups cold plain yogurt
1 cup cold low-fat milk
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper
½ cup diced fresh cherry tomatoes, drained on paper towels
½ cup chopped salted pistachio nuts
1. In a small bowl, toss together the cucumber, green onions, garlic and 2 tablespoons each of mint and basil.
2. In a medium bowl, mix yogurt, milk, lemon and lime juice, and olive oil.
3. Stir vegetables into yogurt and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until chilled.
4. Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with 2 tablespoons each tomato and pistachios per bowl in the center.
5. Sprinkle remaining mint and basil around edges. Serve.Print Recipe